The Toxic Lady Mystery (Gloria Ramirez)
On February 19, 1994, Gloria Ramirez was admitted to Riverside General Hospital in Riverside, CA. How it affected the staff is what made the press dub her: The Toxic Lady.
On February 19, 1994, Gloria Ramirez was admitted to Riverside General Hospital in Riverside, CA. How it affected the staff is what made the press dub her “The Toxic Lady.” What happened is not a mystery, why it happened is still unknown.
Gloria had been suffering from the effects of cervical cancer. She had been receiving chemotherapy at home and according to her family, was expected to live a couple more years. However, on that evening, her fiancée, Johnnie Estrada, called an ambulance after Gloria complained about severe chest pains combined with vomiting and respiratory issues.
As she was rushed through the doors of the hospital, she was awake but incoherent. She was taking shallow and rapid breaths and her heart was beating at an alarming rate. In an attempt to sedate Gloria, medical staff injected her with several drugs including Valium and Ativan. Gloria immediately started responding to the drugs negatively leading doctors to defibrillate her heart.
There appeared to be an oily sheen which was covering Gloria’s body and a fruity, garlic, odor emanated from her mouth. When a nurse attempted to draw blood from Gloria, she noticed an ammonia-like smell. When another nurse attempted to draw blood, she noticed crystal-like particles floating in the blood.
Suddenly, the nurse fainted, followed by another nurse and another nurse.
In total, 23 people within the vicinity of Gloria became ill with 6 being hospitalized. It appeared as though some sort of fumes had risen up from Gloria and affected the hospital workers. They suffered from dizzy spells, fainting, vomiting and respiratory trouble. “I’ve worked in an emergency room for seven years and I’ve never had anything like this happen,” said Susan Kane, one of the nurses affected. One of the most baffling aspects of the case is that none of the ambulance staff, who were in extremely close vicinity of Gloria, were affected by the bizarre symptoms that other workers experienced…”